homestead - Re: [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] water power was: oil-poor world
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:50:42 -0700

The ram pump requires a certain head to make it work. The more head the more water it can move higher. How much head do you have for the ram pump? How much flow does the stream have on average?

Yeah, I have a chart on the numbers from the Rife ram pump company. My first task is to build the dam to create the trout pond. That will give me six feet or more of head. With that much head the flow could be weak. I measured the flow once during drought season but I don't recall the fpm. I know it is more than adequate. Most importantly, it is year-round; has never been known to not flow. One big spring and several smaller ones upstream from the future trout pond, which will be straight out from the front of the house. There are photos of one of the small springs and the stream at:
http://www.ruralize.com/heartwoodhamlet.html

I will put the tank or tanks up on the hill at sufficient elevation to give the pressure at the house that I decide on, probably about 45 psi. All the pipes I have installed and will install are oversized. The mains are two inch. With a ram working constantly you don't need a lot of gpm. I will build or buy one of the larger ram pumps.

I have installed an overflow line in the same ditch, one-inch black plastic pipe that comes in a roll. I have it designed to emerge at an artificial waterfall behind the house which can be viewed from the kitchen sink. That way I will have visual confirmation that the pump is working and the tanks are full.