homestead - Re: [Homestead] How the US Empire operates,

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How the US Empire operates,
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:42:46 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2005 10:16:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lurine AT softcom.net writes:

U.S. Grant would be a prime example of whitewashing history in both old and
new textbooks. He as well-known here as he was given the choice of
resigning or being court marshalled a couple of miles from the family
homestead. He, and his drinking and womanizing, were well known to family
and family friends. In fact, the letter he wrote to his wife telling her
"they request that I resign or they will have me court marshalled" whine,
whine, whine was hanging at Fort Humboldt until the property was given to
the state. Wow, surprise, surprise, the letter disappeared. Wouldn't want
the world to know what Grant really was.

Gee, you seem to know a lot for a story that was covered up. Grant was
caught intoxicated after a party at which the base commanders wife insisted
on a
string of toasts and Grant had absolutely no tolerance for liquor. The
commander made him sign a statement that if found drunk again, he would
resign, and
several years later, the next time anyone saw him in that state, the letter
was placed before him. Soldiers are not normally court martialed for being
intoxicated when off duty, so the only reason would have been for violating
his
own written promise. When re-admitted to the army, his old commander wrote
many letters to Lincoln implying that Grant was drunk during all those
victories
in the west (he was 1000 miles away at the time) , but Lincolns own man,
sent to be at Grant's side swore that he had been with him every day of the
campaigns, and Grant had no drinks period, and knew his own problem well and
avoided alcohol. The Commander backpedaled and admitted he had no evidence
or
witnesses to his string of charges, but all those published accounts over a
long
period would never be retracted of course. Although he did have a problem
early in life with this, he was not the lush he was portrayed to be. As far
as
the letter disappearing from the wall, was it an original?? How long would
any letter worth thousands of dollars hang in a public space before being
snatched. I would like to hear more about the womanizing issue though, In
all my
reading on this era, I did not come across this. Most of this account comes
from the book, Grant and Lee, by Gene Smith, but I can quote others as well.

Drew