homestead - Re: [Homestead] How the US Empire operates,

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How the US Empire operates,
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 23:08:05 -0700

Well, personally, I prefer to see the original and to hear first person
accounts. Grant was stationed HERE and the first person accounts were of
the continual trouble he was in IN TOWN as well as at the fort. He was a
drunk, he was a womanizer and he made "unwelcome advances" to several women.
I've read the hand written reports, including the reports in my
great-grandfather's papers. It was also reported in local papers!

As to the letter, it was on the wall from 1955 through the 70s, early 80s.
The state closed the fort buildings for renovations. When it reopened the
letter was gone. Everything else is cateloged, only the letter isn't.
Everything else that isn't still on the walls is in storage and is accounted
for.

BTW, the story about the officer's wife and the toasts makes a nice story.
The fact is that what happened while he was stationed at the fort, not base
btw, was Grant got drunk and Grant make a pass at another officer's wife.
This was seen by and reported by many locals because it occured at a party
put on by the local timber baron. Grant was invited to no more parties.
Grant was considered persona non grata in town, also, where he had routinely
been drunk.

Furthermore, you could be court martialed for anything you did while in
uniform. You didn't have to be on duty. For an officer to be falling down
drunk while in uniform was a no-no.

And, the man was a failure at everything he ever did except for a small time
in the Army when he re-upped after he was forced to resign. It is nothing
short of a miracle that he didn't become another Custer!

Lynda