homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:34:13 EST

> >The biggest darkest cloud I can possibly imagine would be to spend years
> >at a time away from this farm.
>
> Surely you are playing with us, James. Consider sudden and devastating loss
> of health of you or those you love, unjust imprisonment, occupation by a
> foreign force, a massive outpouring from the cities of angry, hungry mobs,
> a neighbor suddenly gone berserk and killing all he encounters. That's a
> short list.

We were talking about facing the prospects of living as folks did in the 40's
and 50's to which you replied that you would only do it out of necessity,
that is, is it not, you would not do it voluntarily. The things you list
above
are things beyond one's control and therefore beside the point. Whether a
loved one loses health or not, I would not voluntarily embrace a lifestyle
that
takes us from this farm.

But now that you mention it, indulging in escatology for a moment, suppose
the howling mobs do pour out of the cities when the fuel is unavailable. How
far do you suppose they are going to make it on foot? Even if they got here
starving, what do you suppose they'd be able to do in that condition.
Suppose
they found a pig on the hoof or hard corn in a barrel, what do you suppose
they
could do with it? Sure, it could be a problem, but not for very long.

As far as neighbors going berserk, they don't come any berserker than me!
Bring 'em on!

James