homestead - RE: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:40:02 -0600

<<Enjoying "what we have while we have it" is a double entendre. For some
of us the cataclysmic end of the oil culture would be a good thing, not a
negative, dark cloud. It would mean that a lot more people would have the
opportunity to lead meaningful, productive lives rather than floating
parasitically on a tide of oil, turning and flowing wherever that tide
drifts them.>>

For years I've been enjoying what I have while I have it. There is no other
way to live with reasonable happiness when your life partner has terminal
heart disease. Still, I see no joy in a cataclysmic end. Maybe a hundred
years after the end of oil, life could settle into a middle-19th century
mode, but any abrupt change in the economy is going to cause widespread
disruption that will likely include violence of various sorts. I wouldn't
count on distance from cities for safety either. Desperate people can draw
on resources they never knew they had to get food.

Marie