homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:47:18 EST

> While your statement at the end of this paragraph is essentially true, it
> would only occur after the massive die off due to starvation, and after the
>
> chaos of those starving people killing you, and making off with the efforts
> of
> your labors. Personally, I would think you would have at least a
> slightly
> vested interest in, if not supporting society as it is, at least a gradual
> transition.
>
> or not...?

No, you are perfectly correct. But it's a relatively small concern since oil
isn't going to end abruptly (same as SS won't end abruptly). A sudden loss
of oil would indeed mean massive starvation within a season. What is most
likely is that fuel will become more and more expensive over a couple of
decades.
Houses will be smaller, people won't go shopping for houses 70 miles from
where they work (or look for work 70 miles from where they live). Families
won't
live in their SUV going from protest rally to twinking lessons to junior
sports event. Food will gradually get more expensive (already happening) to
the
point that it becomes economically feasible to produce food locally again.

What I mean is this, look around you at the economic, social, and cultural
state we are in. Then imagine yourself thirty or more years ago and being
having a view to the way things are now. 30 years ago car loans were usually
for
24 months and people raised an eyebrow at the notion of a 36 month car loan.
see offers abundant now for 84 month car loans! I magine you were in a
McDonalds in, say, 1965 ... a whole 'meal' was an ounce and a half hamburger,
10
oz soda, and a small clutch of fries, then someone unveils a supersized value
meal like the 'choke a horse' thing BK is offering. But over a period of
years, we become acustomed to almost anything. The rise of energy prices and
its
scarcity will not be different.

James