homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:12:11 -0700

Was it you, Gene, who reviewed the book here "Collapse" (Jarred Diamond)?
It outlines several historic and modern cases when a culture did indeed end
up with howling mobs in the cities (or islands or colonies). The results
were often grim. But he does opine that it doesn't have to happen that way.

I have not read that book. I tend to avoid doomsday, Apocalyptic and "the sky is falling or it might if we don't do something drastic" books. It is appropriate to be aware of potential problems but I choose to scan such stuff quickly if at all, so that it has no chance to become lodged in my neurons.

I also don't believe in accidents. I believe what are called accidents are human mistakes.

I also believe I will always be healthy and will choose when to die and will do so by my own actions.

But I know that some people need to dwell on negatives to explain their condition. And I respect their sovereignty. I just don't want to spend much time around them.