homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:36:16 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2005 11:34:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> >But now that you mention it, indulging in escatology for a moment,
> >suppose the howling mobs do pour out of the cities when the fuel is
> >unavailable. How far do you suppose they are going to make it on foot?
>
> Here you have embraced the essence of my ancient argument--their fear and
> ignorance would stop them

I am afraid you are quite right in this. If we end up with howling mobs in
the cities, it is just going to be a bad thing (especially for the howling
mobs). Was it you, Gene, who reviewed the book here "Collapse" (Jarred
Diamond)?
It outlines several historic and modern cases when a culture did indeed end
up with howling mobs in the cities (or islands or colonies). The results
were often grim. But he does opine that it doesn't have to happen that way.

James