homestead - RE: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 16:27:20 -0600

James wrote:

<<Right now the government can direct that even the sizeable portion of our
poplulation that is not engaged in producing anything can still command a
sizeable portion of the goods available because each person who IS producing
can
produce a sizeable surplus. Why? Because of the availability of cheap
energy.
Just as soon as that supply of energy is no longer cheap, the surplus is no
longer there. The government is then trying to direct that the recipients
of its
largess get the benefits of a surplus that does not exist.>>

Indeed. This is why the Bush admin effort to "reform" Social Security is
neither here nor there. If the general economy isn't going to be able to
meet the demands of SS recipients, the market won't be able to either. As I
said earlier, it will be not pretty.

Marie, happy to be alive and gardening on a sort of warm but windy day in
Central Illinois