homestead - Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Oh my, the sky is falling. Or is it?
  • Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 11:04:41 -0700

The three fold path to health as we preach it: whole food, vigorous
exercise, and proper attitude, hugely and overwhelmingly outweighs any effects there would be in moving somewhere else. What I find most often in the cases of 'move to a better climate' is that people are doing that in stead of taking an active and pro-active role in the improvement of their health.

My family and I have the same attitude toward health: eat the best food, get lots of exercise and embrace a positive reality that sickness is a problem of other people. I expect to just gradually wear out with age, and an old age at that. Dad died at 93, which too-young I attribute to the sedentary life he succumbed to in latter years; at 91 my mother is amazingly active and gardens every day: at merely 69 I do whatever I choose. Have climbed a couple mountains in the last two weeks, the first with my brother and the last with our son and grandsons.

While I was in the Army in Japan in the mid-50s, my parents sold the Wisconsin farm and headed for Arizona because doctors agreed that my brother's severe hay fever, asthma, sinus problems and generally bad respiration would be improved with the dry air here. As an aside, the neighborhood where I now live is accessed through an area that was a "tubercular camp," decades ago, a place where people afflicted with tuberculosis were sent by their back-East doctors. I am told by those who grew up here that there was an extensive area of tents and shacks where the "tuberculars" lived. Back to my brother, his breathing improved greatly, he grew up healthy, and he has remained in the West, although for the last two years he has lived just north of Portland, where it is not dry. At age 64, he is vigorously active and healthy, is a white water rafter and kayaker who has run rivers and camped in Alaska twice, the Grand Canyon thrice, and all over the West for the last thirty or so years, always on the wildest water he and his younger rafting buddies can find. In his early teens his health was greatly in question and there is no doubt that the dry Western air allowed his body to mature with health.