homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:19:07 -0700

The virgins and heaven is a parable referenced in Matt. 25 "Then shall the
kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins . . ."

It has been used overtime as a reference to the rewards in heaven. Not
heard much in the last 50 years or so but was frequently used from pulpits
over the centuries. Was used during the Crusades and was one of the
"rewards" for riding off to rid the world of the heathens who had taken over
Jerusalem.

As to Mohammed, my rusty history is as follows: he was born in Mecca in
about 570 A.D. His parents both died and he was raised by an uncle. He
made journeys to Syria and Palestine and that is where he became familiar
with Judism and Christianity. He became a Christian but was disallusioned
with where it was going.

He was an epileptic and after converting to Christianity he became obsessed
with prayer and fasting. He spent a lot of time studying both Judism and
Christianity, although Christian churchs claim it was an imperfect
knowledge. Gee, why am I surprised <g>

In about 612, during one of his "go to a cave to mediate" things, he said
that he was visited by the Angel Gabriel and that is when he became a
prophet of Allah and the Apostle of Arabia and began converting folks to his
idea of a more/better Christian religion.

The best info about him is in the Koran, if you're up for some heavy
reading. There are a couple of sites on the net but they are in Arabic and
sometimes the translating can be lengthy. Oh, also in the Catholic
Encyclopedia.

Lynda