homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:22:41 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2004 11:49:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lurine AT softcom.net writes:

The English unloaded their prisons not only to Australia and NZ but also to
the U.S. U.S. history books like to ignore this.
there is a fundamental difference though. Australia and NZ were penal
colonies meant to be a place of punishment for murderers et al. The American
colonies
did recieve convicts not by sentence but by choice for minor offenses. My
ancestor killed a deer in land belonging to the king and was offered the
choice
of a short prison sentence or to become a colonist in America. He chose to
take
the boat. Our family history has great detail of this story and other similar
stories. Murderers were not dumped on our shores as a way of emptying
prisons. Prostitutes were similarly offered the choice of the boat or prison
and
chose the boat in some cases. England wanted the colonies to succeed and
begin
sending wealth back , they would not sabotage their own efforts.

The greed was wealthy people who took out land grants, huge land grants. It
had nothing to do with the making a fresh start. They thought they would
make more money, big money.

You are right on this one, Penn and many others gobbled up millions of acres
in land grants for either financial or political gain.

Drew