gmark - Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Professor L.W. Hurtado" <hurtadol AT div.ed.ac.uk>
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 14:31:19 +0000

Harry Staiti wrote:
> Larry,
>
> What you presented does seem to be the straightforward interpretation of
> the text. Which is also the problem
>
> The immanancy of the return of the Son of Man is as immanent as summer to
> the budding fig tree (which blooms in late spring).
>
> But all of the things described in 13.5-23 had occurred in the first
> century, yet the return of the Son of Man, as written about in vs 24-27,
> did not occur in the first century. Yet, the solemnity of the assurance in
> v.30 negates
>
> making the prediction an error.
>
> So there is a problem...
Welllll, yes and no. If the "all these things" of Mk 13:30 refers to
the events leading up to the destruction of the temple ("these
things", 13:4), and "these things" is not inclusive of the coming of
the Son of Man of 13:24-27 (which is explicitly distinguished from
the preceding events in v. 24, "AFTER THAT TRIBULATION"), then
for "all these things " to happen in "this generation" required only
everything up to v. 24. Now, I quite agree that 13:28-29 makes the
coming of the Son of Man very close ("at the door") to "all these
things"; and so there remains the "problem" that the subsequent
19 centuries make clear: the Son of Man didn't come all that
terribly close to the destruction of the temple!
Larry Hurtado

L. W. Hurtado
University of Edinburgh,
New College