gmark - Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Phil Campbell" <philcam AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:22:52 +1000

The disciples launch Mark 13 with the question, when will these things
happen (the destruction of the temple), and WHAT WILL BE THE SIGN that it
will happen. Jesus goes on to answer both questions. And the SIGN he gives
is his own death and resurrection.
A tight argument for this has been given by Peter Bolt in an MTh thesis
(Moore College, Sydney) - it's also close to a position put by NT Wright,
though ending up in an entirely different place.

Think it through carefully. Daniel 7, the Son of Man coming in the clouds
(that Jesus says "This generation will see) is, in Daniel 7, coming TO THE
THRONE IN HEAVEN. We tend to read it as "coming back to earth." But Jesus is
talking about COMING INTO POWER AS KING, ruling with the Ancient of Days.

From that point, there are all sorts of literary clues, as I pointed out in
my previous email, that lead up to THE CROSS.

It's a mind blowing perspective, but it hangs together very well.

Phil