gmark - Re: gmark digest: January 02, 2001

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Doug Jantz <dwjantz AT swbell.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: gmark digest: January 02, 2001
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:08:27 -0600

How is it a mistake?  If the things Jesus taught here in Mk13 were fulfilled in that generation it is no mistake.  The problem I think lies with a tradition in modernity of teaching this as the final coming of Christ.  The text does not demand this interpretation.  This assumption of this text forces one to do all sorts of things with the text.  If we will take as Prof. Hurtado suggested as referring to Jerusalem/Temple there seems to be no problem.  I agree that 'this generation' means just that.

Doug

Steve Black wrote:

I think the ,most natural reading of "This generation" is to those people living at the same time as Jesus. I believe this is the consensus of most scholars. The only reason, I think, we would even hesitate with it is because it presents us with a tradition that basically has Jesus making a mistake. So perhaps the real issue isn't one of hermeneutics at much as it is an issue of christology.

Peace---
You are currently subscribed to gmark as: dwjantz AT swbell.net

Doug

P.S.  If you have not yet signed the guestbook on my website please do so.  When you do please include where you are from!!  See below for my hyperlink.

**If you are receiving my Success Motivator email Monday through Friday and want to be taken off simply email me and let me know.  Please feel free to forward to anyone else.  If you have friends who want to be added let me know!  Thank you!

Douglas Jantz
1304 E. Republic Rd. #180
Springfield, Missouri 65804

dwjantz AT swbell.net
<http://home.swbell.net/dwjantz>

begin:vcard
n:Jantz;Douglas
tel;cell:417.353.2500
tel;fax:417.886.0450
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://home.swbell.net/dwjantz
org:Chemsearch
adr:;;1304 E. Republic Rd. #180;Springfield;Missouri;65804;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dwjantz AT swbell.net
title:Sales Representative
fn:Douglas Jantz