gmark - Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Doug Jantz <dwjantz AT swbell.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:23:16 -0600

"Professor L.W. Hurtado" wrote:Welllll, yes and no. If the "all these things"
of Mk 13:30 refers to

> the events leading up to the destruction of the temple ("these
> things", 13:4), and "these things" is not inclusive of the coming of
> the Son of Man of 13:24-27 (which is explicitly distinguished from
> the preceding events in v. 24, "AFTER THAT TRIBULATION"), then
> for "all these things " to happen in "this generation" required only
> everything up to v. 24. Now, I quite agree that 13:28-29 makes the
> coming of the Son of Man very close ("at the door") to "all these
> things"; and so there remains the "problem" that the subsequent
> 19 centuries make clear: the Son of Man didn't come all that
> terribly close to the destruction of the temple!
> Larry Hurtado

"These things" I see in 13.4 when Peter, James, John and Andrew are asking
Jesus
about the things he mentioned in v.2. All the stones will be thrown down
belonging to the temple. They ask when is it going to take place? Jesus
begins
this discourse answering their question. The Coming of the Son of Man is as
much judgment language as it was in the OT scriptures, part of which is quoted
in 24f. WE have the problem thinking his coming must be the 2nd coming!
Prof.
Hurtado, I think, is along the same thinking. Or am I mistaken?

Doug

> L. W. Hurtado
> University of Edinburgh,
> New College
> Mound Place
> Edinburgh, Scotland EH1 2LX
> Phone: 0131-650-8920
> Fax: 0131-650-6579
> E-mail: L.Hurtado AT ed.ac.uk
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to gmark as: dwjantz AT swbell.net

Doug

P.S. If you have not yet signed the guestbook on my website please do so.
When
you do please include where you are from!! See below for my hyperlink.

**If you are receiving my Success Motivator email Monday through Friday and
want
to be taken off simply email me and let me know. Please feel free to forward
anyone else. If you have friends who want to be added let me know! Thank
you!

Douglas Jantz
1304 E. Republic Rd. #180
Springfield, Missouri 65804

dwjantz AT swbell.net
<http://home.swbell.net/dwjantz>

begin:vcard
n:Jantz;Douglas
tel;cell:417.353.2500
tel;fax:417.886.0450
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://home.swbell.net/dwjantz
org:Chemsearch
adr:;;1304 E. Republic Rd. #180;Springfield;Missouri;65804;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:dwjantz AT swbell.net
title:Sales Representative
fn:Douglas Jantz