gmark - Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: HStaiti AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Mark 13.30 "tauta panta"& "hey genea"
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:02:13 EST

In a message dated 1/3/01 8:29:57 AM SA Pacific Standard Time,
philcam AT tpg.com.au writes:

> Again, why are you insisting that he's talking about the RETURN of the Son
> of Man to EARTH? The Son of Man will come in the clouds TO THE HEAVENLY
> THRONE. I think he DID that.

Friend, I just don't see that in the text. Here is where I am coing from.
Let's talk about it.
The text shows a progression
The time of the distress (13.3-27)
Events preceding "the end to come {v.7}" (13.3-13)
Events of the "days of distress {v.19}" (13.14-23)
Events of "Those days following that distress{v.24}" (13.24-27)

So, the time of the coming of the Son of man ~follows~ the time of the
distressful events of 5-23.
v.24 "But in those days following that distress..."

v.26 "and THEN they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds
with much power and glory"

"kai TOTE opsionti ton uion tou anthropou erxomenon en
nephelais meta dunameos pollos kai doxes"

Since you have verse 26 referring to Jesus' death/resurrection/ascension, it
seems you have not followed the sequence as detailed in Mark 13 and that you
are placing Jesus' death/resurrection/ascension all after the end to come,
the days of distress and the days after that distress. Wht justification is
there in Mark 13 for doing that?

Does my question of you analysis make sense?
Your thoughts?

Peace to you,
Harry Staiti
Evangel Assembly of God