corpus-paul - Re: the role of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the role of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:28:33 -0500

Loren,
Please explain this particular point. I do not understand it, and thus your
argument.

> 2. Rom 5-8 is about the eschatological tension in
> light of Christ's death and resurrection. Rom 7:7-25
> is arguably the heart, showing that Paul objected to
> "law" because it belonged to the old epoch of sin and
> death [**note that this is the particular theological
> conundrum I have been addressing in the thread which I
> entitled "The purpose of the law in salvation
> history": how can the law be on the side of sin? what
> was God ever up to with humanity at large and the
> Jewish people in particular?**] -- not because he was
> an anguished Augustine or guilt-ridden Luther stifled
> by legalism.

In particular, to what does "old epoch of sin and death" refer? It is
critical, I think, to your point, but I cannot see how the epoch of sin and
death is over. Can those who continue to suffer the consequences of sin and
death in this world actually believe this to be the case, including Paul,
and as far as I am aware, all humanoids since?

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.