corpus-paul - Re: the role of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Billy LeJeune" <billyl AT wcs.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the role of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 19:08:02 -0500

Dear George,

I don't see anything here (in 3:19) about how the indictment of the
world came to be. I think that was taken care of in 1:18ff.

I take 3:19 as an answer to the question posed in 3:1

3:1 Therefore what advantage does the Jew have, or what is the value of
circumcision?

The point, I think, is that to those who think the Jews have privilege
you are wrong; they are indicted as well. In my understanding, the
nations are indicted under Adam, not under Moses. The Mosaic covenant
was not given to the nations, and the nations did not agree to it.

I do think it (Mosaic Covenant) was for the world in the sense that
Israel is a microcosm(?) of the world. That is how a Jewish messiah can
save the world: Jesus represents Israel who represents the world. The
curse that fell upon Israel was a type of the curse that was already
upon mankind.

I think it comes down to how Paul understood covenant. I'm open to
suggestions.

Respectfully,
Billy LeJeune
School Teacher