corpus-paul - Re: "we" and "you" in Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT home.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "we" and "you" in Galatians
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:38:04 -0500

on 10/2/01 6:39 AM, Billy LeJeune at billyl AT wcs.edu wrote:

> I haven't been able to read this, but I will as soon as I can. I do have
> Wright's commentary on Colosians which has a very similar passage as the
> one you inquired about. I will get back to you on it. One further
> clarification on what I wrote about "we/you":

You should read Wright's chapter on this passage in Climax of the Covenant
if you wish to represent his views. He thinks the "us" of of v. 13 refers to
all Jews, and the "we" of v. 14b to Christian Jews only. The gentiles he
thinks are covered in 14a.

> I take Gal. 4 like this -
>
> Even though we Jews had the law (and the right God) we were, like
> minors, no better than slaves and "enslaved to the basic forces of the
> world"
>
> likewise, you gentiles, were enslaved to beings who are not gods at all
> (paganism)
>
> Therefore turning to Judaism is just like returning to pagaism
>
> Then comes the allegory that equates present day Jerusalem with Hagar
> (Pagan)

Billy,
I am baffled by this interpretation. Please explain how ever of these
passages compares enslavement of Jews to Law (confinement, I think, would be
a better translation of Paul's language here) and pagans to paganism
(idolatry, I assume you to mean) in such a universal sense as you seem to
indicate.

Regards,
Mark

--