corpus-paul - Re: the role of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the role of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:37:30 -0700 (PDT)

Billy Lejeune wrote:

>I take Rom. 3:19 to be saying the law consigns
>Israel under sin - whatever the law says, it says
>to those who are under the law - just like the rest
>of mankind. It's an argument against Israel have
>special status and not an argument that each person
>ever created is consigned to sin.

Rom 2-4 is, indeed, an argument against Israel's
special status (from one point of view; Rom 11
clarifies and defends Israel's prerogative from
another point of view). But Rom 5-8 is not about
"faith vs works". It is about "faith vs law" as a
whole. Nothing in Rom 5-8 suggests that the
Jew-Gentile issue is being addressed. (Moon and I have
debated this issue before. See the archives for last
February, where he and I discussed Rom 6 in a lengthy
thread.) The texts under discussion here -- Rom 7:7-13
and 7:14-25 -- have nothing to do with the law's
purpose as it relates to "Israel's special status"
(again, that's the focus of chs 2-4 (as well as
9:30-10:4)), but rather the law's purpose as it
relates to any believer, Jew or Gentile, who dies at
baptism (ch 6) and who has not yet risen at the
eschaton (ch 8). The Adam Christology in ch 5 (as well
as 7:7-13) makes clear, I think, that Paul here
focuses on "the law" -- whether the Torah or some
implicit Noahide equivalent -- as "commandments" in
general.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com