corpus-paul - Re: the role of the law in salvation-history

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the role of the law in salvation-history
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 04:32:45 -0700 (PDT)

Billy Jejune wrote:

>What about NT Wright's take that the law was
>given for the purpose of exposing and locating
>and piling up sin in a place where it could be
>dealt with once and for all. In his view the
>tension seems to me to be resolved. The law
>doesn't consign the humanity to sin; the world is
>already consigned to sin. It consigns Israel to
>sin which is representative of humanity,

Thanks for bringing up Wright. But the problem is
still there: How does the law (of all things) consign
Israel to sin?

I appreciate Wright's view of collective atonement
(sin dealt with once and for all) vs. individual
atonement (sin dealt with periodically and/or
phenomenologically). But the dilemma of the law's
**purpose** is not resolved through this distinction
-- unless I'm missing something obvious.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com