corpus-paul - RE: Galatian situation

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanos AT gvi.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Galatian situation
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:29:53 -0500

Sakari wrote:
Against the subordination speaks that
1) Paul claimed to have got his message straight from God in
the revelation. This message did not need any subordination
or confirmation from Jerusalem pillars.

Sakari,
They also got theirs straight from revelation, so there is no tension with them implied. The issue is with the keepers of the prevailing norms apart from what difference this coalition claims in Christ.

2) In spite of his tendency in Galatians to highlight his
independency, Paul was not in Jerusalem alone. He and his
companions were sent there by the Antiochian believers.

According to a different story and teller (Acts 15), but not according to Paul in Gal. 2:1. Are these necessarily the same incident?; the presence of 4 other arguments in the current discussion among scholars tells against such certainty. I have no problem with two different explanations from two different people per se, but the connection is not yet clear to me after reading tons of attempts to make it so.

Regards,
Mark Nanos