ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Gorman <goylemjax AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

I appreciate Todd's argument here, and I will keep this in mind should
I gather my courage to drink from the deeper part of the SD well.

It's never been the braininess of the band that bothered me, more the
studio slickness, and overwrought radio playlisting of the band in my
formative yrs. It's still going to take some doing to get over Donald
Fagen's voice, however.

On Oct 12, 6:41=A0pm, tmor... AT nc.rr.com (Todd Morman) wrote:
> > I might be able to deal w/their 'deep,' and likely unknown to me, album
> > cuts
>
> Well, yeah, that's the way to go with bands whose hits have been driven i=
nto
> the ground by FM radio. You really don't know Steely Dan at all if you
> haven't heard the gems hidden on Pretzel Logichttp://www.allmusic.com/cg/=
amg.dll?p=3Damg&sql=3D10:w9frxqu5ldteor The Royal
> Scamhttp://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=3Damg&sql=3D10:d9ftxqu5ldte(whic=
h had
> no big hits at all). And their first two records are still some of my fav=
es
> from the 70s - "Show Biz Kids" from Countdown To Ecstasy is just perfect.
> Even the first, poppier album holds up well.
>
> Seriously, they have this pretentious art-rock reputation among some folk=
> that I just don't understand. The stuff is clever, sure, but it's always
> sharp, usually fun, and has more than enough heart to make up for the
> braininess.
>
> todd if that is braininess in rock is something you feel has to be made u=
> for morman
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.i=
biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene