ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 06:47:53 -0500

I might be able to deal w/their 'deep,' and likely unknown to me, album cuts

Well, yeah, that's the way to go with bands whose hits have been driven into the ground by FM radio. You really don't know Steely Dan at all if you haven't heard the gems hidden on Pretzel Logic http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:w9frxqu5ldte or The Royal Scam http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:d9ftxqu5ldte (which had no big hits at all). And their first two records are still some of my faves from the 70s - "Show Biz Kids" from Countdown To Ecstasy is just perfect. Even the first, poppier album holds up well.

Seriously, they have this pretentious art-rock reputation among some folks that I just don't understand. The stuff is clever, sure, but it's always sharp, usually fun, and has more than enough heart to make up for the braininess.

todd if that is braininess in rock is something you feel has to be made up for morman