ch-scene - stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:00:05 -0400

Saturday, October 11
Sequoya (http://www.myspace.com/sequoya)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Slow Gun Shogun (http://www.myspace.com/slowgunshogun)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Saturday, October 11
Kaia (http://www.mrlady.com)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
The Antlers (http://www.myspace.com/theantlers)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

First pass through town in a while for Kaia Wilson, who used to live here & fronted the Butchies, before moving back west a few years ago.

Saturday, October 11
Walter Meego (http://www.myspace.com/waltermeego)
Ra Ra Riot (http://www.myspace.com/rarariot)
The Morning Benders (http://www.myspace.com/themorningbenders)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 12
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Goner are from Raleigh, and they've been together in one form or another for nearly as long as I've lived here. They've just released a new album, "Rock and Roll Always Forgets," and it's their best yet: bitter, passionate, detailed songs about getting old in a college town while all the kids stay the same age.

4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 12
The Wedding Present (http://www.scopitones.co.uk/index.html)
The Jealous Girlfriends (http://www.myspace.com/thejealousgirlfriends)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 12
Can Kickers (http://www.myspace.com/cankickers)
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Teh Vodak are a new band with Ben Donnelly (ex-Blackstrap) and Betsy-Shane (Lam! Lam!, Pink Flag). Can Kickers are a raggedy doubletime bluegrass/oldtime band (kin to the Avetts, I guess) from up north; one of their members moved to the Triangle earlier this year to work for the Music Maker Relief Foundation, so welcome.

Monday, October 13
Shawn Deena (http://www.myspace.com/shawndeena)
The Magnolia Mountains (http://www.myspace.com/themagnoliamountains)
Drew Danburry (http://www.drewdanburry.com)
Marvell Building, Durham

Monday, October 13
Grand Buffet (http://www.grandbuffet.com/)
Girl Talk (http://girl-talk.net/)
Hearts of Darknesses (http://www.myspace.com/heartsofdarknesses)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Superhyped celebrity copyright-violator Gregg Gillis brings his hi-energy Girl Talk show (Gregg, his laptop, and half the audience, onstage dancing) to Cat's Cradle. You've read about him in every mainstream publication around, so it's a miracle he hasn't been sued out of existence yet.

Monday, October 13
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Ironing (http://www.myspace.com/ironing)
Hal McGee (http://www.halmcgee.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 13
Talkdemonic (http://www.myspace.com/talkdemonicmusicmaking)
Thomas Kieffer (http://www.myspace.com/thomaskieffer)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 14
The Heartless Bastards (http://www.theheartlessbastards.com/)
Dead Confederate (http://www.deadconfederate.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, October 14
Pattern is Movement (http://www.patternismovement.com/)
Delta Spirit (http://www.deltaspirit.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The first time I saw South Philly's Pattern Is Movement, I found them incredibly annoying. The second time I saw them, I found them both annoying and really compelling. Then I met their irritating singer/bass player, and learned that he's a genuine weirdo (and elementary-school gym teacher), not just onstage. Now I'm quite fond of them. RIYL strange stories, weird falsetto singing, and prog.

Tuesday, October 14
Jordan (http://www.myspace.com/jordanmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, October 15
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, October 15
The Sea (http://www.myspace.com/theseasounds)
GST Cardinals (http://www.myspace.com/gstcardinals)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 15
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Huzzah! The Informants (http://www.myspace.com/huzzahtheinformants)
Sinister Archetype
Reservoir, Carrboro

It's Hep!ler's birthday, so be prepared for frivolity . . . though it's hard to imagine him behaving any goofier than he already does, so nevermind, just go kiss him.

Thursday, October 16
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Minchia (http://www.myspace.com/minchianc)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

At least two of these bands are big Steely Dan fans, but unless yr wavelength is pretty dang advanced, you might be hard-pressed to pick up on it. Although the other day I was watching this live Steely Dan video of "Black Friday" and Le Weekend actually did start making a bit more sense to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZV4Mx7tw8

Thursday, October 16
Blood on the Wall (http://www.bloodonthewall.com)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Thursday, October 16
Cary Ann Hearst (http://www.caryannhearst.com)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Justin Williams (http://www.myspace.com/12000armies)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is part of the "Club is Open" free local show series.

Thursday, October 16
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Pop with teeth. Magic Babies contain a couple of ex-members of The Weather, and they bring the Badfingery rock-with-vocal-harmonies (and guitar solos). Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies take a pretty serious shot at recreating the [studio-only] Spectorian wall-of-sound in a live setting. Bells!

Thursday, October 16
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Hammer No More the Fingers are one of those bands who, had they been playing these songs in '94, would've been the subject of a bidding war. Do they even *have* those anymore?

Thursday, October 16
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Brass Bed (http://www.myspace.com/brassbed)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, October 16
Magnetic Morning (http://www.myspace.com/magneticmorning)
Springhouse (http://www.myspace.com/springhouse)
Julie Ocean (http://www.myspace.com/julieoceandc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Springhouse are from NYC, and they've got Jack Rabid, longtime editor/publisher of venerable zine The Big Takeover. The song I heard on MySpace sounded like west-coast psych-pop, like, I dunno, Flop.

Friday, October 17
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
The Sammies (http://www.myspace.com/thesammies)
The If You Wannas (http://www.myspace.com/theifuwannas)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These Campus Concert Series shows start around 5:00, so knock off work early. The Sammies are a kinda crazy rockband from Charlotte who seem equally enamored of the Allman Brothers and the Cure. Veronique Diabolique, of course, are French Goths from Durham, who never met a tempo they didn't like, as long as it was mid.

Friday, October 17
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a party to celebrate the relaunch of the canonical alt-country magazine No Depression as a web-only concern (http://www.nodepression.com/). I believe it's also a benefit for MusiCares, which helps musicians with healthcare needs, since our government is apparenly way too fucked in the head to do that.

Friday, October 17
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Thee Crucials (http://www.theecrucials.com/)
Rob the Throb, One Man Band (http://www.myspace.com/robthethrobonemanband)
Los Rudos (http://www.myspace.com/vabandlosrudos)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the 5th Annual Blackbeard's Lost Weekend, which was originally founded as a way for the [now-defunct] Spinns to showcase outta-town garage-rock bands they'd met on their travels around the country. That's still more or less the plan.

Friday, October 17
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Chrome Plated Apostles (http://www.demonbeach.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Transportation are a crazy 70s-influenced power trio from Chapel Hill -- they seem to steal equally from the bloodlines of Queen and Wings.

Chrome Plated Apostles are sort of a realignment of the Bad Checks -- Hunter stays on vocals, harmonica and falling down, Clif moves to guitar (after stints in Pipe & the Ghost of Rock, he's spent more time on guitar than bass at this point), Greg Adams (Pipe) steps in on bass, and a rotating who's-who of local drummers seal the deal. Dirty nasty raunchy rock n roll.

Saturday, October 18
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Down River
The Beast
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a grand-reopening party for the Duke Coffeehouse, who've undergone some major renovations over the past few months. The show is free, and it runs from 2 til 7, so you can catch a wide range of local talent and still make it out to whatever else you wanna do later.

Saturday, October 18
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Barberries (http://www.myspace.com/thebarberries)
The Holy Ghosts
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is night two of the 5th Annual Blackbeard's Lost Weekend, which was originally founded as a way for the [now-defunct] Spinns to showcase outta-town garage-rock bands they'd met on their travels around the country. Tonight includes the definitive Raleigh gtr/drums garage-stomp duo the Loners, and ex-Spinn Josh Johnson's one-man-band Pinche Gringo (who are now actually a two-piece, Pinche Gringo & the Lovely Sarita).

Saturday, October 18
Jessica Lea Mayfield (http://www.myspace.com/jlmayfield)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 18
The Shondes (http://www.myspace.com/theshondes)
Guitar Bomb (http://www.guitarbomb.com)
Sweet Ones
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 19
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Monsonia have been around for a few years now, during which time they've oscillated between 2- and 3-piece incarnations. They're currently a 3-piece, with Chapel Hill recordist Nick Petersen taking care of bass duties. Sound-wise, they're kinda Shellacky, with Carter Browning's abrasive tones (guitar *and* vocals) riding along atop Andy Willard's muscular drumming and Nick's taut low end..

4:00 p.m. @ 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 19
Awesome Color (http://awesomecolor.net)
Rongorongo
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 19
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
GST Cardinals (http://www.myspace.com/gstcardinals)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, October 20
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Pierced Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/piercedarrowspdx)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The greatest garage band in the world, Dead Moon, broke up a couple of years ago, but it only took Fred & Toody Cole a few months to get bored of retirement. Pierced Arrows is their new band, with a new drummer, and a setlist that sounds, on record anyway, like a slightly mellower Dead Moon.

The Dirty Little Heaters no doubt had a collective heartattack when asked to open this show. Or, if they didn't, they damn well should've. Not that they don't deserve it, but still, we're talking about Fred & Toody here.

Tuesday, October 21
All the Saints (http://www.myspace.com/allthesaints)
A Place to Bury Strangers (http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers)
Sian Alice Group (http://www.myspace.com/sianalicegroup)