ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 07:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

>>>Actually, all this talk about "verbal pacts" and the breakage thereof, and
>>>making a popular local band "work harder" to book a show where you've
>>>admitted you had no other volunteers, makes you look like the royal king
>>>of the hardasses. Makes me glad I have no need, nor any future plans, to
>>>ever have bidness dealings with you.

Man, never thought I'd have to explain this one. Regarding the
Pierced Arrows show, the Dirty Little Heaters had some inside info
since one of their members works at 506. Basically, they knew about
the possibility of this show months before it was confirmed and
announced - and the request to open started then. Obviously, I could
not add them to a show that I myself did not even know was going to
take place. Once it was announced, I gave them the slot before anyone
else had a chance - but still, it was on our site sans support for a
good week (and I kinda thought maybe someone else would ask about
it.) To show I indeed do have some heart, despite my new two-band
push, I added a locals Grass Widow to the Jay Reatard in return for a
favor that helped in booking that show...and was happy to do so.

Fwiw, most touring acts have something more legal than a 'verbal pact'
- it's call a contract, so I'm used to making agreements in advance
about our shows (and believe me, I'd like to break a few of them if I
could!) For locals, a verbal pact is basically "someone's word." I
don't think bands like it when clubs tell them one thing, then do
something else - whether it be changing set times/order, adding
additional bands, paying less money (...wasn't there an entire thread
about a band being bumped for a basketball game recently!) Well,
clubs don't like it when bands don't live up to their end of the
agreement either.

And, likewise, I'll be the first to agree that I also have no interest
in doing bidness with someone who's word I can't trust.

glenn

ps: to make sure it's clear, all is cool with me/506 and the DLHs/
Reese/Rob/Dave - the commentary is based on principals, not this
specific show!