ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Gorman <goylemjax AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 15:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

Am I the only person here who hates Steely Dan w/a passion?
I might be able to deal w/their 'deep,' and likely unknown to me,
album cuts, but the SD greatest hits canon, which is generally what I
end up running into (w/the possible exception of"FM,") is like getting
root canal w/o anesthesia.

While I can respect them at song writers, their unctuous, oily studio
production pretty much ruins anything I've ever heard them do. If I
didn't know about the aforementioned bands, I'd never in a millions
years see them w/o shotgun-grade hearing protection.

> > At least two of these bands are big Steely Dan fans, but unless yr
> > wavelength is pretty dang advanced, you might be hard-pressed to pick up
> > on it. Although the other day I was watching this live Steely Dan video
> > of "Black Friday" and Le Weekend actually did start making a bit more
> > sense to me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZV4Mx7tw8
>
> I'm very sad to report Minchia won't be playing (they have broken up,
> which really sucks). But I'm happy to report Impossible Arms will
> take up the charge. You better believe Mike Myerson is a Steely Dan
> fan...get him drunk and ask him about "Barrytown."
>
> Yep, go ahead and make plans to come out to this one.
>
> Lev,
> Matt/Le Weekend

While