ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryon Settle <ployntabs AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 11, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:25:13 -0400

You are the only on who hates Steely Dan. It's just not fashionable to hate Steely Dan anymore. I think long guitar solos are coming back too. Not bass solos though.

Gorman wrote:
Am I the only person here who hates Steely Dan w/a passion?
I might be able to deal w/their 'deep,' and likely unknown to me,
album cuts, but the SD greatest hits canon, which is generally what I
end up running into (w/the possible exception of"FM,") is like getting
root canal w/o anesthesia.

While I can respect them at song writers, their unctuous, oily studio
production pretty much ruins anything I've ever heard them do. If I
didn't know about the aforementioned bands, I'd never in a millions
years see them w/o shotgun-grade hearing protection.

At least two of these bands are big Steely Dan fans, but unless yr
wavelength is pretty dang advanced, you might be hard-pressed to pick up
on it. Although the other day I was watching this live Steely Dan video
of "Black Friday" and Le Weekend actually did start making a bit more
sense to me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZV4Mx7tw8
I'm very sad to report Minchia won't be playing (they have broken up,
which really sucks). But I'm happy to report Impossible Arms will
take up the charge. You better believe Mike Myerson is a Steely Dan
fan...get him drunk and ask him about "Barrytown."

Yep, go ahead and make plans to come out to this one.

Lev,
Matt/Le Weekend

While