ch-scene - Re: Ahh, Troika

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "betsyshane AT gmail.com" <betsyshane AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Ahh, Troika
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:23:37 -0700 (PDT)

The lack of communication in the festival was what really bothered me
about the experience. I didn't receive a welcome email telling me
that I had even been accepted, and explaining the festival and its
goals. I didn't receive an email stating where and when I was
playing. I wasn't provided with any promotional materials (posters to
hang, an e-flyer, even access to a vector of the logo so I could make
my own promotional materials). My show had been promoted as free in
the indy, free on the Troika website but was charging $10 at the
door. After all was said and done, I didn't get a follow up email
thanking me and summarizing what the goal of the festival was and
whether or not we accomplished that. Maybe welcome and follow-up
emails are too much to ask, but I think it'd be nice to feel like the
organizers are invested enough in the festival and organized enough to
tell everyone what's going on and why we're doing this.

I sort of understood the $10 fee, since it was explained to me that it
was a guarantee to venues and larger touring bands. What I didn't
understand was where the door fees went to, aside from the oblique
"local musicians" answer all the door people gave.

Despite that, I'd do it again. If I hadn't played with them at
Troika, I doubt I'd have ever heard Kerbloki or the Future Islands,
and they are both really good. Maybe it's naive or overly hopeful but
I really *want* Troika to be good, and I think it can be...I've seen
it be good, and there are GREAT bands around here. I just hope that
this coming year they are a little bit less opaque and a little more
aggressive in marketing and making sure that the festival is organized
enough that bands don't end up passing on it for the wrong reasons.

bs