ch-scene - Re: Ahh, Troika

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Mimi <mimiklem AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Ahh, Troika
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 24, 1:10=A0pm, hannahg... AT gmail.com (hannah gush) wrote:
> Is it possible for us as a community to have a conversation about what
> happened during Troika last year? =A0Bands were mad, Venue owners were mad=
,
> musicians who had volunteered in the past felt excluded and punished...
> instead of me saying "everyone feels this way and that way" we could all s=
ay
> for ourselves - especially since there's another Troika on the horizon.
>
> Hannah
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.ib=
iblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

There are many opportunities for learning from the foibles of Troika
last year.
As a festival participant, both performer and festival-goer,
my experience was disappointing in some ways, but loved the music,
and still have high hopes for what Troika could be for the area.

My remedy for being disappointed, and to address some of the concerns
I had,

has been to get involved with this year's planning and organization.
This year's team of
volunteers is a group of people who are truly
committed to our local music community and to hosting
a festival that represents the musical greatness
that resides here in the Triangle. There are people who have worked
on Troika in the past,
as well as new-comers like myself who are volunteering.

The people working on the festival are a group of fun, highly
motivated,
organized, inventive and creative individuals, both
musicians and music lovers. There are people who have
decades of combined experience in this "scene" who are
offering excellent suggestions and advice. There is a
lot of work to be done between now and November, and I
am planning on this being one of the best years yet.
Learn from the past year, and move forward. And learn
from the successes of the past years of Troika and
Durham Music Festival also.

My experience has been that volunteer efforts are
welcomed, and this is on any level. I think we all,
as part of the music community, have a lot to gain
from Troika succeeding. This area NEEDS and desires a
kick ass music festival that spotlights the rich,
independent scene we have, and Troika can do this.

So I encourage people to participate, whether it be as
a volunteer, a sponsor, or as a festival-goer, and
keep voicing thoughts and concerns--they are being heard.

Mimi McLaughlin