ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: trunk <trunkrecords AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:28:02 -0800 (PST)

> I guess I will keep thinking about the greed angle. Have you
> experience in this regard? What worked for you?

Heh... actually I do.

There was this club, club 'a' to protect the guilty, where we kept
getting the cold shoulder from the booking guy. Nothing we tried (all
five of us tried different things) worked. Then one day we were
thinking about the issue and decided to try a bit of social
engineering on the club goob.

Here is what we did. We took out a half page ad in the Independent
that had a great picture of the band and lots of cool looking flashy
graphics and fonts. All of it meaningless. We then snagged all the
copies we could find and cut out the ad. We then mailed (snail mail)
45 copies of this advert from 45 different people (all legit people)
and then followed up with a telephone call a week later.

This club goob was salivating to get us in the door. He thought that
he was gonna make loads of money so he was suddenly our best friend.
He even gave the band a $200 bar tab AND $500 for performing.

This one little lesson should give you all you need to break into the
local scene.

Just remember:
Flash over substance - if you are an amazing band with exceptional
musicians, don't mention this fact. Instead, play down the level of
musicianship and instead find lots of adjectives which mean nothing
but average people will think you are cool.

Nothing means something - The less you say, the more people wanna
know.

Take every opportunity to impress a club goob with your business
acumen. Even if you suck at it, make the club goob THINK that you
will make them money.

It's a cruel world out there so cruel actions are needed to survive.
It's either that or just hold your own parties and forget the clique-
ish club scene.