ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 06:32:53 -0800 (PST)

I wanted to add a few things. I've spent the last
month or so trying to do my part in booking a tour for
one of my bands. I emailed four clubs and a bunch of
bands in Pittsburgh. I got one response, from a club
that Erie Choir played last April, and I probaby only
got that response because I did the club a favor by
emailing them a link to the pics of rachel ray from
FHM way back when.

I hate that bullshit, not getting replies. Absolutely
fucking hate it when people don't respond, because I
respond to every fucking email and myspace message
that comes down the pike. Granted sometimes not until
weeks later, but I do respond.

So I feel your pain.

On the other hand, one of my first shows ever was a
last minute show at Lizard and Snake. We had like two
hours to get shit worked out. After that, it was a
bit easier to book the L&S. We mostly played Go after
L&S closed, and look at what happened to Go!

Seriously, the bottom line is that shit takes work and
patience. Just like writing songs. And if you don't
suckl it will eventually pay off and you'll feel like
an idiot for whining here. The best thing you can do
is GO to shows, talk to a band after they finish, hang
out. Make friends. Share a demo or a CD, try to get
on a bill. If it were easy to get a show, then more
shows would suck.

Be a better friend, newshound, and