ch-scene - Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: chapelhillguitarist AT hotmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:11:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi all.

Preface: This is not 'sour grapes'. My intention is to understand
the dynamic so that myself and others don't have to be frustrated
unnecessarily when trying to book a new band.

I recently received an email from Local 506 about the goin's on at
that venue. Lots of great music acts and many of them local. Kudos
to Local 506 for hosting local talent in more than a token way.

However, ( this is meant to be a serious question ) when all requests
to book a band are ignored by any club that books local acts
(including 506), how does a band manager avoid feeling like they are
fighting favoritism?

What do I mean 'favoritism'? It seems the same local bands are
playing all of the local clubs yet when I try to book one of the local
bands that I manage, most of the time I don't even get a response. I
have visited the clubs, introduced myself, politely inquired via
email, telephone and in-person yet all of these local clubs are
silent.

So what am I raving about?

If a band manager has a great local band but local clubs won't speak
with them about booking the local band, what advice can you offer to
ensure communication with the club manager short of firing the band
manager or stalking the club manager?