ch-scene - Re: Local music... who decides?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Local music... who decides?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 07:52:35 -0800 (PST)

>The best thing you can do is GO to shows, talk to a band after they finish,
>hang out. Make friends.

This should go without saying, but unfortunately it doesn't.
Likewise, if you want to play a specific venue in town, you should
attend a show at that venue before asking. I often get questions from
area bands looking to play here asking if we have PA, a stage,
etc...stuff any band member should notice from just walking in the
room. Basically, I want bands who want to play here because they are
fans of the club or the music we book, not because it comes up on a
google search.

Not to mention, I'm here enough and notice these things. So yes,
there is probably a correlation between the number of shows Erin
Ridings attends and the number of shows Soft Company is offered.
Heck, Bull City were offered The Whigs opening slot last week because
I remembered that their guitarist John Kurtz was at the first Whigs
show a couple years ago. Call it 'favoritism', but yes some of my
favorite bands are the bands that support my club by attending shows,
not just playing them.

glenn/506