ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 11:57:02 -0500

And don't forget the WXYC Backyard BBQ nights at Local 506, on the "sponsoring shows at local clubs" front.

Although I assume no money changes hands, because (a) WXYC doesn't have any (and is funded magically via some really crazy setup that's different from most other student entities), and (b) can you imagine the paperwork you'd have to fill out, and the hoo-doo in the legislature if some crazed nutjob from Down East got wind that student monies were being handed out willy-nilly to bars? Um, I mean *officially collected student fees*, I guess; lord knows there's gajillions of dollars in unofficial student monies being handed out willy-nilly to bars on a nightly basis around here.

I *would* like to see somebody resurrect those shows at the UNC student center; they were fun. They were also kinda weird, because that room is kinda weird in a classic "institutional multi-purpose-room" kind of way.

Of course, for all I know, they might be having regular shows there, and not telling us, which would be OK, since I'm not a student & thus not the target audience. Students?

Ross

Sarah Freeman wrote:
it's called the duke coffeehouse.