ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bryk <chscene AT bryk.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 13:54:12 -0500

ross, WTF that was a little harsh.

i would assume that glenn has invested a pretty big chunk of his savings into 506, for what my parents probably wouldn't consider "much of a living". it's as much of a labour of love as being a broke-ass indie rock fool like myself. (admittedly, the main difference being glenn is ONE rung up from the bottom of the food chain, above the artist's traditional position).

OK, for the sake or argument, everyone who's not republican-tax-break- wealthy has only so much they can drop on buying music.

for the record, let's say on average i spend $100-200 a month on CDs and the occasional legit download.

i try to balance out buying the things i expect to really treasure, listen to constantly and obsessively, artists i'm already into, with maybe downloading or burning music i want to explore, or artists i admire but don't really love. even when i've downloaded or burned stuff that i found i was really into, it's in my nature to want to ultimately own it. i spent a decade freelancing and slumming in music retail (for the aforementioned career flexibility). i have a ugly WALL of vinyl and CDs, at this point a bad investment in every sense BUT the artistic/cultural.

if i bought EVERY CD i wanted to listen to, i would probably end up living in my car.

until it was reposessed.

are you telling us that you've NEVER burned a CD you just wanted to check out?

dan

p.s. fuck! the restaurant muzak is playing michael mcdonald's "reach out (i'll be there)" and i think i just threw up in my mouth.