ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:37:59 -0800 (PST)

Now I'm inundating everyone with email and I
half-apologize.

Talk to Calloway about grassroots organizing.
Students who care absolutely can NOT rely on XYC, CUAB
or anyone else to make this better for them. If they
care, and if there are enough of them, and if they
know a little about what they're doing (have good
guidance), then they have everything they need in
order to bring about their own change. And that's
what it takes.

Of course, as it is now, things are pretty good in
terms of the level of musical activity and the number
of outlets in town for music. The question is what
change do they want to bring about? For me the answer
is to improve the relationship between campus and the
mucial community. That's what those students would
have to care about. And we know that some care
because they come here and say so, but are there
enough that share common interests and have the time
to do anything?