ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "matty" <mfhedtDONTSPAMME AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:24:30 GMT

Yeah, but the first blank CDs were ~$40/each and now they're a nickel. Now
you can get professional mastering/duplication/printing for <$2/disc, you
could DYI-it for probably <$0.50/disc.

On the other hand, minimum wage is up from $3.35 to a whopping $5.15, so
we're rolling in dough.

But $12 for CDs in the 80's was a huge ripoff. Now $12 - $14 feels okay to
me if the disc is good, but it's too much to do a lot of speculative buying.
I'll go out on a limb much more often in the $8/used bin or especially the
$5 - $10 range buying directly from a band at a show. A band selling a CD
for $15 at a show is usually a turn-off for me, I'm positively more likely
to buy the $10 disc and give them gas money or couch space than do anything
if the disc is $15 or more.

-Matt

43F29A96.50302 AT ibiblio.org">news:43F29A96.50302 AT ibiblio.org...