ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:27:28 -0800 (PST)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> And don't forget the WXYC Backyard BBQ nights at
> Local 506, on the
> "sponsoring shows at local clubs" front.
>
> Although I assume no money changes hands, because
> (a) WXYC doesn't have
> any (and is funded magically via some really crazy
> setup that's
> different from most other student entities), and (b)
> can you imagine the
> paperwork you'd have to fill out, and the hoo-doo in
> the legislature if
> some crazed nutjob from Down East got wind that
> student monies were
> being handed out willy-nilly to bars? Um, I mean
> *officially collected
> student fees*, I guess; lord knows there's
> gajillions of dollars in
> unofficial student monies being handed out
> willy-nilly to bars on a
> nightly basis around here.

Well, two things. First, WXYC lacks the credibility
campuswide to influence students and convince them to
go to shows. And doing so is not necessarily why they
exist. I mean, both XYC and XDU pretty clearly state
that their mission is to broaden horizons, not feed
the kids what they already like. And like I said,
they've done a lot of great work over the years and
continue to do good work. I know Mr. Nahm for one
deserves many accolades for his efforts.

Second, student money wouldn't go to the bars. The
student money would go to the bands. The bar would be
the venue. The hard part would be the private club
issue with the 506 and Wetlands, both of which would
otherwise be great venues for these kinds of shows.

> I *would* like to see somebody resurrect those shows
> at the UNC student
> center; they were fun. They were also kinda weird,
> because that room is
> kinda weird in a classic "institutional
> multi-purpose-room" kind of way.

I had a good time at those. But again, the CUAB board
has a high turnover rate. They do events as single
events and ignore the long term benefit of creating a
series that would recur. People forget about those
single shows when exams are coming and when it's
basketball season.

> Of course, for all I know, they might be having
> regular shows there, and
> not telling us, which would be OK, since I'm not a
> student & thus not
> the target audience. Students?

They're not as far as I know. If they were and even
promoting it a little bit, wifey would know.