ch-scene - Re: best way to support artists?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: best way to support artists?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:05:58 -0500

I was paying $12 for CDs back in the 80's. I was also paying 95 cents a gallon for gas, and $4 for lunch. I didn't go to many shows because I lived in bumfuck nowhere.

In the 90s the average price of a show at the club now owned by you was around $6. I was still paying $12 for CDs. Lunch had gone up to $6.

It's now 2006. The average price of a show at the club now owned by you is $8 (not counting Karaoke night & whatnot).

You're apparently still paying $12 for CDs.

A gallon of gas is now $2.40 or so. I paid $7.50 for lunch today.

xo

Ross

p.s. I write in run-on sentences and I cuss a lot. I hardly think either of those things is all that intimidating, but I have toned them down for this post, just to see what will happen. Let a hundred flowers bloom.

Or are you suggesting that my arrangements of actual facts into arguments is what I should suppress?

Glenn Boothe / Local 506 wrote:
Ross, don't ya think this forum would be more interesting if people
felt free to express their opinions without fear that you're going to
drill them a new asshole if you disagree. We might get more diversity
and actually some valid insights, as opposed to a bunch of posts
seconding your thoughts while those who might not agree with you
keeping quiet.

So, maybe 'greedy' isn't the right word, I'll give you that,
but the fact of the matter is that I rarely pay more than $12 for CDs.
I'm not saying you shouldn't, just offering an opinion on a thread
created by someone else. It's just one opinion. What's more,
it's only a few bands that actually do sell their CDs for that much,
and I can't think of any locals. It's usually touring acts on
established labels. And I just believe that if you paid a cover charge
to see the band, then the band should cut you a break on the CD (as
opposed to charging more for it.) I use the word 'greedy' because
that is a word often used to describe major labels, yet, often times,
smaller labels and bands do similar things

So yes, bands should sell their stuff for whatever price point they
wish. A question I get a lot is why are Local 506 t-shirts only $5 -
for me, I'd rather see more shirts on the street than make a few
extra bucks off them. But, that's my choice, not suggesting bands do
the same (although I'd like to think that if you're a musician at
this level then having people hear your music is more exciting than a
few extra bucks as well.)

glenn