ch-scene - Re: Durham music scene

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham music scene
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:38:25 -0500

Re: smoke. I missed most of the bands at the Minutemen tribute show because I was driven out by the smoke. Sure, I was recovering from a cold at the time so the discomfort was particularly acute, but it really made me start thinking how it would be nice if I could go out and see music in a non-toxic environment. I had very tentatively explored with a few bandmates the idea of making the last Wusses gig non-smoking, but found there was still this lingering impression that a non-smoking show would drive away too many smokers. I don't really buy this, since the times are a changin' and most people these days don't smoke. Sure there's an ethical question of why we're risking the health of a majority of people for the enjoyment of a few. But there's also the very pragmatic question of how many non-smokers would be attracted back to rock shows vs how many smokers would actually be driven away. My hunch is that not many smokers would stop coming to shows, but many more non-smokers would be willing to come out on a weeknight for some rock. So it would make sense from a financial perspective, not just an ethical one. Of course, I could be totally wrong. Maybe ask the Cave whether they've noticed any change in attendance since going non-smoking.

chris

grady wrote:
I can't believe I forgot the Cave!

Glenn: If people are leaving after one band (something I myself do on occasion), then I'd guess one reason would be the desire not to die of smoke inhalation. There are plenty of other reasons (shows start late, people have jobs/school/whatever, plus, yes, I think people aren't as curious about random bands anymore, because we're fucking *drowning* in random bands from all sides), but don't discount the smoke factor. I've had about 400 conversations with triangle clubgoers about smoke, and how the lack of it at the Cradle is remarkably invigorating, and how the omnipresence of it at other clubs is getting to be such a drag that many folks don't go out anymore once they hit 30 or so & their cilia aren't regenerating quite so quickly anymore.

I heard a rumor last month that even Kings is trying to figure out a way to accomodate smokers outside so they can go nonsmoking inside. Glory be.

Ross

Jeffrey Herrick wrote:

Grady wrote:

Chapel Hill:
Cat's Cradle
Reservoir, occasionally
Local 506
Nightlight
Library
Wetlands

hey don't forget the Cave! Fluff Chick will play to 5 people there on Washington's b-day..

Yea, there are probably too many clubs and too many shows...
I mean if we can get a show..

The kids have all this internet/ipod/myspace stuff why would the average
weirdo kid want to venture out to a smoky scary club to take a chance on a
local band?

The problem is the awkward kids don't have to go out now.
They can stay in and be distracted by their electronic gizmos dang nabit!
No reason to listen to xyc & xdu with the internet.. so they never know that
there are local bands..
.they just read pitchfork and listen to what they say is good..

did I mention smoke?

Is there as many people going to record stores to see flyers for local bands
and talk to other music lovers?

only old people read list-serv's or whatever you call this thing..

Oh yea.. gas is expensive..
CH is expensive so many folks moved to Durham.. splintered "the scene" man..

Jeff