ch-scene - Re: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:15:27 -0400

p.s. 2nd-best Pixies show I ever saw was at the Lizard & Snake, sometime in the mid-90s; we were sitting around waiting for some random show to start & "Tame" came on the stereo and somebody at another table, probably Barry Summerlin though I don't recall for sure, screeched "tame!" at the top of his lungs at the exact right time every time throughout the song. It was perfect.

grady wrote:
Dino Jr is at the Cradle, Sunday July 10. Went on sale today.

Will be *very* packed & hot & sweaty, but thankfully not smoky, at least.

The capacity of Disco Rodeo/Ritz, where the Pixies show is, is several thousand people. Since it became Disco Rodeo, I'm told (haven't been there in ages), they've installed an elevated fenced-off dance floor smack in the center of the room, which further complicates sightlines & mobility. And yes, it sounds like total ass.

I would also like to encourage people to note that most-if-not-all of the positive press about the Pixies reunion has been coming from (a) people too young to have seen them pre-Bossanova the first time, and/or people who actually really liked both Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde.

I have vivid memories of their slide into suck-dom that commenced with Bossanova-era shows, and I'm not convinced that they're currently achieving anything that could compare with my equally vivid memories of seeing them for the first time on the "Death to the Pixies" tour. That plus the Ritz Factor (and the heinous prices) is more than enough to keep me away.

Ross

Steven Keith wrote:

Where are Dino Jr. tix, where is the venue, what is the date? Or better
question may be: how sold out are they?
Regarding June 12, when the stars align as they have, the venue serves
as the deal-breaker.
How many people can cram into the Raleigh venue where the Pixies are
playing? I have heard it is like seeing a show in a Wal-Mart auto shop.