ch-scene - Re: this happens from time to time, but

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Gorman" <goylemjax AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: this happens from time to time, but
  • Date: 10 May 2005 12:19:13 -0700

Is this an attempt at humor, or are you an employee of Disco Rodeo or
just a fool?

Point by point breakdown:

> >> As opposed to the sanitary and luxuriously appointed Cats Cradle?
I think these are roughly equal in cleanliness; The Cradle does let you
come in and out at leasure, they don't have goons making sure you're
not bringing in yr own water bottles, thus maximizing the amount of $
they can siphon out of yr wallet, much less waste yr time in line b/c
they have to search everyone.

> > I think this is really no contest, and I won't even count the
sound:

> > 1. Cradle is non-smoking
>

> A real plus since the overwhelming majority of rockers don't smoke.
But if you don't smoke, it's cool, great in fact; and unlike DR, you
can go outside and light up, go eat nearby, rent a film, go off a
screw, etc, and still come back in.

> > 2. Cradle beer is cheaper and more diverse.
>
> Warm Hams on tap diversity does not make. Although I found a roach
in mine
> once when I was there, so they clearly do not discriminate against
our
> invertebrate friends.
Buying beer is a waste of $ at DR. I quit even trying to bother
drinking there b/c it's not worth the cost. It's on the level of
Walnut Creek/TheShed practically. In fact, you could make the further
argument that it compares favorably to Walnut Creek in terms of staff
and mgmt. At least most of the Cradle employees have some interest in
music. The feeling I get from DR is that their job would be no
different than selling shoes or installing a hot water heater.

> > 3. Cradle, I bet, has more seats, at least on a sq ft basis.
>
> Not a rational statistical claim.
Fair enought, but at least the Cradle doesn't have raised dance floor
stuck in the middle of it, making the view of the right behind it
mostly impractical...and making that area between the stage and the
dancefloor jam packed.

> > 4. Ritz doesn't allow re-entry should you have to go outside. At
least
> > the last time I was there.
>
> Good.
What's actually good about this?

> > 5. If it's possible, the Cradle's cement floor actually seems
softer to me.

Whatever.

> > 6. Cradle has the ingenious wormhole that allows you to get at
least
> > halfway back to the bar and bathrooms without having to push
through the
> > worst part of a crowd. I've always admired that, whoever devised
it.
> > Seconds can be precious.
>
> The evidence speaks against this being routinely taken advantage of.
What empirical evidence are you talking about, genius?

None of yr counter arguments are convincing in the least. There's
nothing that DR has over the cradle except space. They'll both be esp
hot in the summer; however, one, DR, will have shittier sound than the
other. One has a rasied dance floor that probably rox for latino dance
nights, but sux for a show.
Oh, DR has an upstairs floor space that the cradle doesn't. It's not
enough to counter the advantage the cradle has