cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 14:41:51 -0600

We have received at least one inquiry off-list about what we meant by the term "one-way compatibility" so I thought I would clarify on the mailing list for everyone. One-way compatibility from BY-SA to GPLv3 would mean that people would be able to take BY-SA works, adapt them, and apply the GPLv3. They would not, however, be able to take GPLv3 projects, adapt them, and apply BY-SA. In other words, you could move from BY-SA to GPLv3, but not the other way around.

Hope that clears up any confusion. It's a tricky concept.