cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work? (was: BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam AT benfinney.id.au>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] CC ShareAlike: Include a requirement for source form of the work? (was: BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:54:04 +1100

Sarah Pearson <sarah AT creativecommons.org>
writes:

> This email marks the opening of the public discussion on this mailing
> list.

Thank you for beginning this important work.

> We will be sending out specific discussion prompts on major topics in
> the coming weeks, but we encourage you to provide input at any time
> on- or off-list.

One of the greatest incompatibilities as I see it is the CC SA lacks the
guarantee recipients can obtain the corresponding source to the work.

In my opinion, if derivatives are expressly permitted, then the
recipient's access to the corresponding source form of the work is
crucial to actually exercising that permission.

What is the current state of discussion to change the ShareAlike
requirements to guarantee the recipient can actually make derivative
works from the corresponding source?

--
\ “Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep |
`\ alone.” —anonymous |