cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] BY-SA compatibility proposal: GPLv3
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:00:45 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015, 15:13:53 schrieb Sarah Pearson:
> We have created a wiki page
> <https://wiki.creativecommons.org/ShareAlike_compatibility_analysis:_GPL>
> for the proposal, which includes an initial comparison of the two licenses.

I like the table - it makes the differences and similarities quite clear.

I have one nitpick on the comparison: For “other versions” it states
for the GPL:

“Compliance with any version automatically permitted if no version
specified; otherwise no by default, but licensor may specify that
later/other versions allowable. No additional obligations are
imposed on authors where a reuser follows a later version. (§§14)”

It would be nice to add, that the suggested license text allows any
later version, and that there is an option to select a proxy who can
decide for each later version whether the works may be used under this
version (clause 14). Additionally clause 13 allows using the AGPL
(which is a GPL with added copyleft protection for applications which
are accessed over the network - a requirement for providing copyleft
in remote services).

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Celebrate with ye beauty and gather yer friends for a Pirate Party!
http://1w6.org/english/flyerbook-rules#pirate-party