cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 02:03:06 -0500

<quote who="Terry Hancock" date="Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:36:02AM -0600">
> Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > The reality is that most of the major examples used on this list are
> > systems where users cannot apply their own DRM.
>
> *Hypothetical* examples. Most *real* so-called "DRM systems" can
> actually play non-DRM content either natively, or with user-installed
> software upgrades.

As someone who has written tools to do these upgrades, and run events to
help people execute them, you'll forgive me if I'm a little cynical of
this attitude. These "user installed upgrades" are often extremely
technically difficult (sometimes involving soldering), unavailable for
much of the lifetime of system, frequently risky, sometimes seen as in
violation of the DMCA, nearly always void the warranty, and in many
cases involve forgoing major functionality.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS