cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako AT atdot.cc>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Fwd: Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 22:22:58 -0500

<quote who="Terry Hancock" date="Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 06:55:58AM -0600">
> Nic Suzor wrote:
> > I think that the total loss to the community of people not being able
> > to make use of CC-licensed works on locked platforms...
>
> If only I had a buck every time a pro-TPM+PD poster made this mistake! ;-)
>
> The anti-TPM clause is a *DISTRIBUTION* requirement, not a use
> restriction. It creates no such "loss" as you describe. Anyone can play
> CC content on a TPM platform, so long as they have the freedom to apply
> TPM to the work when they copy it to the platform. Which right they do have.

The reality is that most of the major examples used on this list are
systems where users cannot apply their own DRM. In these cases, they are
distribution is a prerequisite. As a result, the terms are effectively
interchangable for the sake of argument.

Regards,
Mako

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako AT atdot.cc

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS