cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution and Non-Copyleft Licenses
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 14:58:39 -0500

On Saturday 02 December 2006 11:55 am, James Grimmelmann wrote:
> That is, with software, you need source code in order to
> make full use of the relevant freedoms; with many other sorts of works,
> you do not need the source code to enjoy those freedoms.

I disagree with this strongly. I just feel that it is next to impossible to
properly express such a "source" requirement in simple language and so have
to content myself to live without it.

We are in fact much poorer for nat having the source though.

James, please answer this for me. Why do you insist that it is essential to
allow my works to be used on a platform where only the blessed can put them
there? (I will by the way, at this point, allow mine on there if the blessed
will pay for the use of my works.)

In the platform under discussion, any general user is going to have to go to
one of the blessed to get a copy of the work in the first place. It is these
guys who have designed a system to limit freedoms, not me.

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month
Sayings (Winner 2006)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/262954